Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2021

 Color Color Color

It means something in every culture. I am mesmerized by color and have sought to understand it since I was a teenager. It’s the number one factor that keeps me in pursuit of art for the rest of my life. I adore it; I am compelled to understand it, and I never tire of playing with it not only in art and colors on canvas but in fabrics, in interiors and in landscapes.  The funny thing is that the objects that appear to be a certain color are in fact missing that one color in reality and its absence reflects back on the eye of the beholder creating the color in the mind of the observer.  Nonetheless we still play with it.  And color in paint is a fairly new thing which in fact brought about the marvelous birth of impressionism. Prior works were limited to earth colors and actual gems that were ground down.  Art follows technology. When Winsor Newton in England began to develop laboratory colors and tin tubes it changed the entire trajectory of the art and the artist’s work. It’s a fact.

I made a brief little keynote presentation for youtube showing just a few ways to create harmony that is pleasant to the eye of the beholder. I hope this is meaningful to you. 



No comments: