Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2021

ON PAINTING THE SAME SUBJECT MANY TIMES

Many painters far greater than I have painted the same subject many many times. Here is the caveat: It is not the same painting. Sometimes something new is added, sometimes something is eliminated. Sometimes the palette is different; sometimes the light source is rearranged. It is the process of arting.....For me, art is a verb. It is basically for the artist and not for the buyer that we paint; that we indulge with our communion of shapes, light and pigment. I like to paint because I like to use paint, color, and shapes probably more than I like to "say" something. From the beginning of time, the question of what do I paint is the persistent voice that a painter hears. For me it is all about what can I use to hang all this color and pigment on? Sometimes it is simply wonderful to already have a tried and true subject matter so that all my attention can be focused on the joy; the color and the light. If you google my name you will see images that have grown, changed, and morphed into other images through the prism of time. How would this scene look if it were painted in the palette of the great swedish painter, Anders Zorn? How would this scene look if I toned the canvas first with napthol crimson? How would this painting look if I only used a large brush to paint it? How about a small brush, how about if it were painted on paper rather than canvas....What if I painted this tiny corner on a huge canvas? What if I used a medium that resembles the glazes of the renaissance? THIS is why I paint. This is why I coninue.

No comments: