Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

split complementary revisited

Summer of Innocence 16 x 20


   SOLD
 I decided to start with a composition from last summer that I had photographed and have painted in small quick sketches a few times.  I drew in the figure and then painted with burnt umber most of the linear aspects of the girl and the still life so that I could hold the drawing when I started painting.  On this one in particular, I decided to paint all the values in a mixture of black white and thalo green.
     I set it aside for a few days to dry and then decided to use a color harmony that I used last week with a rose still life.....split complementary of viridian green, grumbacher red, and orange............the first day I stuck only to those colors.  After drying I worked again on it adding some brights, dulls, richness and darks and felt compelled to add in a violet shade....it really helped in many ways to make the painting sit down on the canvas.
The final day of painting is the most exciting.
$1800.00


3 comments:

martinealison said...

Très jolie lumière et belle harmonie de couleurs... Bisous

Karen Martin Sampson said...

This is so lovely and evocative of fine summer days! Love your colour use and strong brush strokes.

Ross Lee Pipes said...

Are prints of Summer of Innocence or similar paintings available or are you only selling original art?