I decided to start with a composition from last summer that I had photographed and have painted in small quick sketches a few times. I drew in the figure and then painted with burnt umber most of the linear aspects of the girl and the still life so that I could hold the drawing when I started painting. On this one in particular, I decided to paint all the values in a mixture of black white and thalo green.
I set it aside for a few days to dry and then decided to use a color harmony that I used last week with a rose still life.....split complementary of viridian green, grumbacher red, and orange............the first day I stuck only to those colors. After drying I worked again on it adding some brights, dulls, richness and darks and felt compelled to add in a violet shade....it really helped in many ways to make the painting sit down on the canvas.
The final day of painting is the most exciting.