Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Freshness is the prize



Another Pear


SOLD

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." 
 Marcel Proust

I thought this especially profound for artists and perhaps everyone.  The eyes we see with today are not the eyes we saw through yesterday.  That is why it behooves an artist to be forever dynamic and expanding.  The process of learning is exercised every day with every perception, every placement of color and value.  As a former educator in the public school system I wish we could convey to children and young adults that the real prize is the exercise of  learning and hence, expanding, and that the content is secondary.  I delight in how many times I have opportunities to revisit something I thought I knew and to see something new again.  I had that feeling just a minute ago looking at a demonstration of oil painting.  I had that feeling yesterday as I listened to a young mom describe her life with three boys under the age of 7.  I had that feeling a week ago as I listened to something my ex husband said.......and on and on......It's that feeling that keeps me from ever tiring of life itself and wishing I had a dozen more lifetimes to taste it all. I think every time we use our senses we are experiencing the act of creation and in that holy land of being at one with the universe and the planet.

3 comments:

Jean Townsend said...

Nice one, Sally!

carol morgan carmichael said...

Beautiful painting Sally. Your thoughts were a great way to start my week. So easy to take everything for granted and not be thankful for every minute we have.

Virginia Floyd said...

I saw this painting on Daily Paintworks and I loved it! Your fabric flows like a stream of water around the pears. Gorgeous colors and lush brush strokes. Beautiful!